recently i installed docker on windows. i need to manage this blog but don’t want any complexity (e.g. installed ruby, setting up dependencies).
first i installed docker.
some issues in running docker:
The running command stopped because the preference variable “ErrorActionPreference” or common parameter is set to Stop
solution: unintall docker and restart the system, then again install docker
Docker fails to start - MobyLinuxVM.vhdx already exists, unable to create MobyLinuxVM
- exit the application
- Stop-Service com.docker.service
- cd ‘C:\Program Files\Docker\Docker\resources’
- .\MobyLinux.ps1 -Destroy
- check that the VHDX file (C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Hyper- V\Virtual hard disks\MobyLinuxVM.vhdx) is removed
- .\MobyLinux.ps1 -Create
now docker running as expected.
setting up blog in docker (blog is based on jekyll and hosted on github)
- download Kitematic
- install this image starefosson/github-pages
- mount hard drive (e.g. C:/ where your repo exists) from docker settings -> Shared Drives and select the drive and apply. (tip: use full username e.g. WORKGROUP/Name of User)
- now go to your blog repository and run (in powershell):
1 docker run -v "$(pwd):/usr/src/app" -p "4000:4000" starefossen/github-pages
this will create a new cotainer and mount current directory (blog) to /usr/src/app which use to serve blog on localhost:4000
now you can rename the new container (e.g. blog) and run it via powershell after starting the docker.
1 docker start -i blog